We are the keepers of 600 years of History
Poggio Torselli was initially established as mansion of the Da Casavecchia family. The estate was first mentioned in XIV century documents and later listed for the first time in the land register in 1427. Poggio Torselli was born.
Visitors are welcomed by the long alley of cypresses leading up to the Villa, from where they will enjoy a breath-taking view of the rolling hills with Florence skyline on the horizon and the Cupola of Santa Maria del Fiore, built in the same years, towering on the roofs only fifteen km away.
The first owners were the Angiolini family who entered the house in 1434, in the same year that Cosimo de’ Medici rose to power in Florence. Over the centuries, Poggio Torselli has hosted many noble Tuscan families, such as the Machiavelli (from 1608 onwards), Strozzi, Orlandini Corsini (1668-1722) and Antinori (1864-1892).
When in 1999, the current owners bought the estate, charmed by its beauty and its potential, Poggio Torselli was in an evident state of neglect. The villa, the garden, the park, along with the olive grooves and the vineyards were buried in ivy, dust and weeds. The original beauty was still there, tough, waiting to be unveiled once more.
Between 1999 and 2002 the Villa and the garden were skilfully and magnificently restored and brought back to their original splendour.
It took till 2005 to bring vineyards and olive groves back to life and by 2003 the new winery was built in time for the first vintage of the new course.
The Villa belongs to the Machiavelli family
The construction of the Brunelleschi’s Dome is completed
The golden age of the De’ Medici’s family begins
The discovery of America
Michelangelo sculpts the David marble statue
Pope Pius VII stays overnight at Villa Poggio Torselli while heading to France to crown Napoleon
Firenze is proclaimed Capital of the Regno d’Italia
Firenze is declared UNESCO World Heritage
Starts the restoration of the Villa and the Garden, to bring them back to their original splendor
The new cellar is built
The beginning of the new course of Poggio Torselli